The best kid-friendly flooring options for your home
Why laminate flooring is the ideal choice for families
You want a floor that looks elegant, modern and will stay on-trend for years to come. But let’s face it: kids are messy. Spaghetti on the floor. ‘Helping’ you cook. And stomach bugs that create the absolute worst kind of mess! However, creating an easy-care home that looks great IS possible. Here’s what to look for in a kid-friendly floor.
Things to consider when choosing a floor covering
There are many things to consider in your home’s design when you live with young children.
From the colour of your furnishings to the safety of stairs, there are a lot of aspects to think about. Flooring is our specialty, so let’s take a closer look at some of the features that many families look for in a floor covering.
Of course, you need to pick the one that looks great in your space – but overall, the flooring for your family home should be:
- Low maintenance – because managing a household with kids can get busy. Having a floor that stays looking good with only a small amount of care is a blessing.
- Easy to clean – Kids often make a mess, so it makes sense to install a floor covering that looks fresh and clean after a quick mop.
- Easy and safe to walk on – Ease of movement is essential, especially when little ones are learning to walk.
- Soft and warm underfoot – A little cushioning won’t harm a toddler’s developing feet and you’ll want a floor that is relatively warm underfoot.
- Slip-resistant – You can’t completely avoid slips and falls with kids around, but installing a floor with a slip-resistant surface is a step in the right direction.
- Shock absorbent – When they fall (and they will!) your floor surface needs to minimise the impact of a fall or an accident.
- Sound insulation – The right floor covering can mean the difference between hearing the pitter-patter of tiny feet and hearing a herd of elephants thundering through your house. Choose wisely for your own sanity!
So, now that you know what to look for aside from aesthetic appeal, here are some of the common flooring choices when you have babies, toddlers or young children at home.
Tiles or slate
Stone tiles are waterproof and easy to clean, but very cold underfoot. They also offer almost zero cushioning to protect your little ones if they slip or fall. Stone and slate tiles give a great effect thanks to the natural material, however, they can create an echo in your home and amplify existing noise.
Warm, soft and sound-absorbing, carpet is ideal for comfort and cushioning. On the other hand, it stains easily, is much harder to keep looking fresh, and is not suitable for wet areas of your home such as kitchens. It can also harbour dust mites and cause allergy flare-ups.
Laminate flooring: the ultimate kid-friendly floor!
- Cleaning and maintenance: Almost zero maintenance is required and is easy to clean thanks to its protective overlay.
- Safety: Many modern laminate flooring options come with an anti-slip coating for extra safety.
- Comfort: Softer when compared to hardwood floors. Its HDF or MDF core makes laminate floors barefoot-friendly.
- Warmth: Not as warm as carpet, but not nearly as cold to the touch as stone or slate.
- Look and feel: Available in a variety of nature-identical designs and textures (making it a great substitute for hardwood or natural stone floors).
- Quiet: With a range of underlay options, you can gain excellent acoustic properties that muffle loud sounds, as well as add to the thermal properties of your floor.
Get the right flooring that works for your family
If you’re planning on renovating your home to better suit your family, the most important thing to remember is to choose a floor that will grow with you.
We love laminate flooring because it is just so durable, and will stay looking good for many years to come.
This means you don’t have to compromise on stylish flooring: you can install laminate now to withstand the ups and downs of family life, and in ten years it will still be looking clean, classy and timeless.